Grab rolls out carpooling service for Metro Manila

© GrabPH

© GrabPH

Transport network company Grab, which calls itself as the leading ride-hailing platform in Southeast Asia, has launched locally its on-demand commercial carpooling service, two months after it was launched in the region in Singapore in December 2016.

“After the success of our first run in Singapore, we’ve decided to bring GrabShare to Manila for the benefit of the Filipino commuters," said Grab Philippines Country Head Brian Cu. "With it, we can deliver more affordable rides to our passengers and provide higher incomes for our drivers.”

With GrabShare,  two separate passengers going to the same area can take the same vehicle, thereby reducing the number of cars on the road while paying for fares that saves them up to 30 percent from the standard GrabCar fare. As for GrabShare drivers and operators, they stand to earn more by completing two bookings with just one trip.

“Carpooling is instrumental to achieving our most important goals: to make transportation accessible for our passengers, and to improve the lives of our drivers," Cu added. "With GrabShare, Grab makes the everyday commute of Filipinos even more cost-efficient and hassle-free: Grab passengers won’t have to waste their time because GrabShare keeps detours to a minimum, while drivers are given the opportunity to earn more by completing two bookings in one trip.”

Using the regular Grab app, a passenger specifies if he or she is willing to share the ride to his or her destination via the GrabShare submenu. Once a Grab driver agrees to take on the passenger as a GrabShare booking, the system then looks for another passenger in his or her respective area who is looking to book a GrabShare ride as well. The Grab app will then inform the client who first booked the car when the driver is picking up another passenger. To ensure that the booking is finished as soon as possible, only one other passenger will be picked up after the one that first booked the car.

Currently, around 70 percent of Grab's drivers and operators can now operate under the GrabShare service, with the remaining 30 percent unable to do so because the current GrabShare app requires its users to upgrade to at least the Android 4.4 operating system, Cu told Carmudi Philippines.

“Grab has always supported multi-modal transportation," shared Cu. "We would like to think that we have successfully positioned ourselves as a feeder service to the buses and train stations. Our data indicates that a majority of our passengers use Grab to travel to and from these points during the rush hour. We’re optimistic that the convenience and affordability of GrabShare will cement this role further.”

Depending on the demand, Grab Philippines plans to roll out the GrabShare service to Cebu as well.